Q. What is the minimum age required to study at OHC? Do you offer any courses for people below that age?

A. The minimum age limit is 16 for international classes, and there is no upper age limit.


Q. How long does it take for me to move up a level?

A. That depends on each student.  All students are tested every 4 weeks, and have a tutorial with their teacher to discuss their language needs, and whether they are ready to progress to the next level.  In general it takes between 10-12 weeks for a student to move from one level to the next (e.g. from B1+ to B2.    If a student feels that their class is either too easy or too difficult, they are welcome to discuss it with their teacher or the Centre Manager/DOS and find a solution.


Q: How long is each class? 
A: All our lessons are 50 minutes long 


Q:  What is the difference between General English, General English Plus and Intensive English in terms of the number of lessons?

 A:*General English is 4 lessons/day, 20 lessons/week
*GE Plus is 4 lessons GE + 1 elective = 25 lessons/week
*GE Intensive is 4 lessons GE + 2 electives = 30 lessons/week


Q. What is the average age of students at OHC?

A. Most of our students are between the ages of 20 and 30. However, we also have many students both below and above this range.



Q. When do you begin to accept applications for the courses and when is the deadline for enrolment?

A. You can apply for your course as early as you like and there is no official deadline for enrolment. However, given that all of the course and accommodation options we offer are subject to availability, we recommend that you apply as far in advance as possible so as to have the best chance of getting a place in your preferred course and in your preferred accommodation. Courses start every Monday. If Monday is a holiday, your course will start on Tuesday.


Q. What are the fees for international/overseas students?

A. All tuition fees are the same for all students 16 years or older. Click on the fees tab to access the current fees for OHC Canada


Q. Is there a library/café/common room in the centre?

A. The Toronto center has student study areas, common room, free WiFi and a student café.


Q. Is there free Internet access in the centre?

A. OHC students have access to free WiFi throughout the campus.


Q. Can I have a trial lesson before I book my course?

A. For many of the courses we offer it is possible to arrange/attend a free trial lesson before enrolling. To find out if this is possible for your chosen course, please contact us directly. 


Q. What is the cost of living in Canada?

A. Estimates of the cost of living in Canada for international students can be found here:


Q. Can you tell me about the building?

A. What has been known as the Blake Mansion since 1872 is now home to our North American head office and OHC Toronto. This magnificent Victorian architectural masterpiece
is an official heritage site. It is located right downtown and is within walking distance to Wellesley and College subway stations, the Eaton Centre shopping mall and 15 minutes to
the CN Tower on the subway. The building has 17 well-lit classrooms, common areas for students to gather and a beautiful front yard with picnic tables and benches for
students to enjoy during their free time. The building has no elevator. If you have special mobility needs please contact us immediately and we will do our best to advise and assist you.


Q. Can you cater to the needs of students with physical or mental disabilities or special educational needs (SEND)?

A. Although we have many years’ experience helping visitors to Canada, and our teachers are happy to provide extra help and support with your studies, we do not have the facilities or staff to cater for students with significant mental or physical impairments or severe learning difficulties. Please ask us before booking and we will discuss your requirements and offer any help, advice and assistance we can. Due to the structure, layout and access to the building, we are unable to accept students with severe mobility issues.

Q. Can I stay in OHC accommodation if I do not take one of your courses? What about if I come with somebody who will study at OHC - could I share a room with that person?

A. Our accommodation is for OHC students only. Due to high demand and limited availability you can only stay in our accommodation if you study with us. Therefore, even if you are coming to Toronto with someone else who will be studying with us, we cannot provide you with accommodation.


Q. Do I have to stay in accommodation provided by OHC?

A. No. You can arrange accommodation by yourself if you wish.


Q. How far will my accommodation be from the school? Will I be able to walk to school?

A. Our student residence is located right across the street from the school and takes less than a minute to get to on foot. Homestay accommodations range from within walking distance to the school to 50 minutes by public transportation.


Q. Can I choose my homestay host? Or visit before I stay to make sure I like it?

A. We do not allow students to ‘choose’ the homestay location or host they want, just as we do not allow homestay hosts to ‘choose’ the student they want to host. All homestay locations are regularly inspected to make sure it is suitable and we do our best to place students in homestay where they will feel happy and comfortable. Of course if you are unhappy, we will do our best to deal with your problem and, in more serious cases, to move you, though this may take a little time and at certain times of the year, it may not be possible.


Q. If I come with somebody else and we will both be students at OHC, can we share a room together? If so, how can we arrange this?

A. You can certainly request to share a room with a friend or loved one if you will both study at OHC, and we will arrange this for you. You should make this request at the same time you register by noting it on your registration form, or alternatively, by sending an e-mail to: 


Q. If I have booked a shared room with somebody else but then they cannot come (for example because their visa application is refused), what should I do?

A. In this case you should inform us of the situation as soon as possible so that we can make alternative arrangements for you.


Q. If I would like to apply for a shared room but I do not know another OHC student who I can share the room with, can OHC find a roommate for me?

A. No. You must know the person you wish to share a room with.


Q. If I have a specific request relating to the accommodation, who should I contact and will OHC be able to help me with it?

A. In this case you should note your request on your application form. You can also contact us directly. Depending on your request, we may be able to help you and, in any case, we will certainly answer your questions.


Q. When can I move into the accommodation and when do I have to move out? Can I stay in the accommodation after my course has finished?

A. Student accommodation is booked from Sunday to Sunday, or Saturday to Saturday. You can arrive at your accommodation any time after the beginning of your booking and will need to move out on or before your official move out date. Depending on availability and demand, you may be able to stay in our accommodation after your studies have finished.


Q. Is there internet access in the accommodation?

A. Our student residence has free WiFi and all of our homestays have Internet as well. However, accommodation fees for homestays do not include Internet access so your homestay may charge a small fee for this service. All students have internet access at the school. If it is important to you to have internet access in your accommodation, we recommend you arrange mobile/3G internet for your stay.


Q. How can I find out the exact address of the accommodation?

A. You will be notified of the exact address of your accommodation at least two weeks before your course start date.


Q. Can I book accommodation for one week only?

A. Yes.


Q. Can I pay for my accommodation in instalments or do I have to pay all accommodation fees in advances?

A. All accommodation fees must be paid in advance. For longer stays, you can book a shorter period of accommodation (e.g. one month)and renew/extend at the end of this period, however, you may need to move homestay or student residence room at the end of your accommodation period and if you have special requirements we may not be able to meet them if notice is short.


Q. If I want to extend my period of accommodation or change my accommodation, can I do this? If so, what would I have to pay?

A. It is certainly possible to extend your period of accommodation or to move to another accommodation. To do so you should make this request as far in advance as possible and we will do our best to accommodate you. We would then settle the balance.


Q. Can I stay in OHC accommodation if I am under 18?

A. If you are under 18 you can only stay in homestay accommodation, or with an approved guardian.


Q. Do I have to pay for gas, electricity, property tax, etc. or are all bills included in the price of the accommodation?

A. All bills are included.


Q. What is the registration fee/accommodation finding fee for?

A. Both the registration fee and the accommodation fee are necessary charges to cover administrative costs.


Q. If I cancel my course will you refund the registration fee?

A. No. The registration fee is not refundable.


Q. If I cancel my accommodation will you refund the accommodation placement fee?

A. No. The accommodation placement fee is not refundable.


Q. Do I have to pay the registration fee for each and every course I take?

A. No. It is only necessary to pay this fee once to cover the initial cost of registering you as an OHC student. After you are registered there is no need to pay the registration fee again.



Q. Can I do the test before I arrive?

A. Yes - Please click on this link below and we will automatically recieve your reseults which will be added to your booking:  


Q. Do you also have classes for complete beginners?

A. If you are a complete beginner we may not have a suitable class for you. Please contact us to find out if we do.


Q. Do I need to have a certain level of English to take any of your courses? If so, which ones?

A. If you would like to take one of our specialised English courses, you must have a level of English at the appropriate level. These are: Cambridge Examination courses - Upper-Intermediate or higher; IELTS - Intermediate or higher, TOEIC – Intermediate or higher; TOEFL – Upper intermediate or higher; Business English – Intermediate or higher; Academic English – Pre-advanced or higher.


Q. Can I take an English course for one week only?

A. Yes.


Q. Will I get a certificate at the end of my course? Is there an exam?

A. After you have completed your course you will receive a certificate confirming your attendance as well as the progress you have made / the level you have reached. There is no exam unless you are taking an exam course.


Q. Do you offer free English lessons?

A. Yes. Free classes are taught by teacher trainees when a teacher training course is being run. Free classes operate on a first come, first serve basis.


Q. What is included in the course fee? For example, are course books or exam fees included?

A. Course books and materials and exam fees (e.g. Cambridge or IELTS exam fees) are not included in the course fee


Q. Can I pay for my course in instalments or do I have to pay all course fees in advance? What about if I just want to reserve a place?

A. All course fees are payable in advance. You could pay for two or three week courses at a time if you wish, but please note that this would be more expensive than paying for a longer course in advance.


Q. After I start my course can I extend my period of study or change to another course? If so, what would I have to pay?

A. It is possible to extend your period of study or to change to another course. To do so you should make this request as far in advance as possible and we will do our best to accommodate you. We would then settle the balance.

Q. How can I pay for my course?

A. You can pay by cash, credit card or you could arrange a bank transfer. If you pay by bank transfer you must send us a copy of the bank transfer so that we can process your registration. Please ask the bank to give your name as a reference. Bank charges (if any) must be paid by you on arrival.


Q. Can I do a bank transfer or online EFT for my Fees direct to your bank account?

A. Yes, Here are the bank account details;

Information to provide to your bank: 
Bank Name: HSBC 
Bank Street Address: 108-3601 Highway #7 E., 
Bank City: Markham 
Bank Province: Ontario 
Bank Postal Code: L3R 0M3 
Bank Country: Canada 
Account (Beneficiary) Name: Sol School International DBA OHC 
Account (Beneficiary) Number: 482-192291-002 
Swift Code: HKBCCATT 
Bank/Institution Number: 016 
Transit Number: 10482 

Please use your Student Number or Student Name as the “reference”. Once transferred please email the screenshot or scan copy of the receipt to us immediately, so we can track it and provide you with a receipt.


Q. Do I have to pay in Canadian dollars or can I pay in a foreign currency?

A. You can pay your fees in a foreign currency. To do so you must calculate the amount according to the relevant exchange rate on the day you make your payment. After you make your payment we will convert it into Canadian dollars according to the exchange rate on the day we receive your payment. We will then settle the balance when you arrive (i.e. if you have paid too much we will refund you the difference and if you have paid too little we will ask you to pay the rest).


Q. Is it possible for somebody else to pay on my behalf?

A. Yes.


Q. If I need an invoice can OHC provide one? If so, what information do I have to give and do I have to pay anything?

A. Yes. We can provide invoices if required. To be able to do so we need to know your chosen course, the start date and the duration, as well as the address or email address to which we should send the invoice. You do not have to pay anything for this service.


Q. Can I get any financial aid/assistance, such as a student loan or scholarship, for my course?

A. OHC does not offer any scholarships or other financial assistance. However your course at OHC may be eligible for a grant from a funding body in your home country (for example the European Union’s Erasmus + programme). If you are applying for financial aid, contact your chosen centre to discuss how we can help your application.


"I have made a lot of friends at this school. The lessons are interesting and the teachers are very kind and funny. If I have any questions they always help me. I have had a lot of chances to make friends who come from other countries.

My decision to quit my job and come her was very important for me and I’m happy enjoying my life in Toronto. I wanted to learn English through experience and now I’m here."

Yuka from Japan