Gold Coast


Q. What is the average age of students at OHC?

A. Most of our students are between the ages of 20 and 30. However, we also have many students both below and above this range.


Q. Can I come to study at OHC with someone below 16, like a child for example?

A. It is possible to do this but it could prove too difficult to arrange given that the person below 16 could not study at OHC or stay in our accommodation. In other words, the only way to do this would be to stay in private accommodation and find a school or child-minder with which/whom you could leave the child while you are in class.


Q. What is the minimum age required to study at OHC? Do you offer any courses for people below that age?

A. The minimum age limit is 16 for international classes, and there is no upper age limit. Under 16s may be taught privately (one to one) or in closed groups.


Q. When do you begin to accept applications for the courses and when is the deadline for enrolment?

A. You can apply for your course as early as you like and there is no official deadline for enrolment. However, given that all of the course and accommodation options we offer are subject to availability, we recommend that you apply as far in advance as possible so as to have the best chance of getting a place on your preferred course and in your preferred accommodation. Courses start every Monday.


Q. What are the fees for international/overseas students?

A. All course and accommodation fees are the same for all students.


Q. Is there a library/café/common room in the centre?

A. Yes – in the Gold Coast centre we have a library that students can access throughout the day as well as a large common room and student kitchen area. Cafés and restaurants are also located next to the school.


Q. Is there Computers and Free Internet access in the centre?

A. Yes. OHC students have access to PC's and internet. This includes WiFi broadband internet access.


Q. Can I have a trial lesson before I book my course?

A. For many of the courses we offer it is possible to arrange/attend a trial lesson before enrolling. To find out if this is possible for your chosen course, please contact us directly.


Q. What is the cost of living in Australia?

A. Estimates of the cost of living in Australia for international students can be found here


Q. Can you tell me about the buildings?

A. Our Gold Coast centre is located in the heart of Surfers Paradise surrounded by cafes, restaurants , bars, shops and parks. With great city-centre bus and tram transport links.

Q. Can I stay in OHC accommodation if I do not take one of your courses? What about if I come with somebody who will study at OHC - could I share a room with that person?

A. Our accommodation is for OHC students only. Due to high demand and limited availability you can only stay in our accommodation if you study with us. Therefore, if you are travelling with someone who will not be studying with us, we cannot provide you with accommodation.


Q. Do I have to stay in accommodation provided by OHC?

A. No. You can arrange accommodation by yourself if you wish.


Q. How far will my accommodation be from the college? Will I be able to walk to college?

A. Homestay accommodation in Gold Coast is on average a 20-30min journey from the school by use of public transport. Homestay accommodation will require the use of public transport to get to the school.


Q. Can I choose my homestay host? Or visit before I stay to make sure I like it?

A. We do not allow students to ‘choose’ the homestay location or any host they want, just as we do not allow homestay hosts to ‘choose’ the student they want to host. All homestay locations are regularly inspected to make sure it is suitable and we do our best to place students in homestay where they will feel happy and comfortable. Of course if you are unhappy, we will do our best to deal with your problem and, in more serious cases, to move you, though this may take a little time and at certain times of the year, it may not be possible.


Q. If I come with somebody else and we will both be students at OHC, can we share a room together? If so, how can we arrange this?

A. You can certainly request to share a room with a friend if you will both study here at OHC, and we will of course do our best to arrange this for you. However, we cannot guarantee this. You should make this request at the same time or after you apply by noting it on your application form.


Q. If I have booked a shared room with somebody else but then they cannot come (for example because their visa application is refused), what should I do?

A. In this case you should inform us of the situation as soon as possible so that we can make an alternative arrangement for you.


Q. If I would like to apply for a shared room but I do not know another OHC student who I can share the room with, can OHC find a roommate for me?

A. Unfortunately we are unable to find a roommate or place students with other students have not booked together.


Q. If I have a specific request relating to the accommodation, who should I contact and will OHC be able to help me with it?

A. In this case you should note your request on your application form. You can also contact us directly. Depending on your request we may be able to help you and, in any case, we will certainly answer your questions.


Q. When can I move into the accommodation and when do I have to move out? Can I stay in the accommodation after my course has finished?

A. All of the accommodation we offer is for arrival and departure on Sundays - this is the period covered in the price. However, you can leave before the end of this period and it may also be possible to arrive the day before. To find out about this, please contact us directly. On the other hand, it is not possible to stay in our accommodation after you have finished your course.


Q. Is there internet access in the accommodation?

A. We do not guarantee internet access in accommodation, and accommodation fees do not include internet access. Some homestay hosts allow students to use the internet (again, there may be a small charge). All students have internet access in the college. If it is important to you to have internet access in your accommodation, we recommend you arrange mobile/3G internet for your stay.


Q. How can I find out the exact address of the accommodation?

A. You will be notified of the exact address of the accommodation no sooner than one week before the starting date of your course. We cannot disclose this information to prospective students.


Q. Can I book accommodation for one week only?

A. Provided you apply for a one-week course you can also book accommodation for one week only. To find out the price of this and how to apply, please contact us. On the other hand, if your course is for two weeks or more, you must book accommodation for at least 2 weeks.


Q. Can I pay for my accommodation in instalments or do I have to pay all accommodation fees in advances?

A. All accommodation fees must be paid in advance. For longer stays, you can book a shorter period of accommodation (e.g. one month) and renew/extend at the end of this period, however, you may need to move homestay at the end of your accommodation period and if you have special requirements we may not be able to meet them if notice is short.


Q. If I want to extend my period of accommodation or change my accommodation, can I do this? If so, what would I have to pay?

A. It is certainly possible to extend your period of accommodation or to move to other accommodation. To do so you should make this request as far in advance as possible and we will do our best to accommodate you. We would then settle the balance and you would not have to pay any extra charges.


Q. Can I stay in OHC accommodation if I am under 18?

A. If you are under 18 you can only stay in homestay accommodation, however there will be an additional charge of $20 per week if you are under 18 years old.


Q. Do I have to pay for gas, electricity, council tax, etc. or are all bills included in the price of the accommodation?

A. No, All bills are included.


Q. What is the registration fee/accommodation finding fee for?

A. Both the registration fee and the accommodation fee are necessary charges to cover administrative costs.


Q. If I cancel my course will you refund the registration fee?

A. No. The registration fee is not refundable.


Q. If I cancel my accommodation will you refund the accommodation finding fee?

A. No. The accommodation finding fee is not refundable.


Q. Do I have to pay the registration fee for each and every course I take?

A. No. It is only necessary to pay this fee once to cover the initial cost of registering you as an OHC student. After you are registered there is no need to pay the registration fee again.

Q. Can I do the test before I arrive?

A. Yes – you can take our test online at our website: alternatively you can take the English test on your first day at the school.


Q. Do you also have classes for complete beginners?

A. If you are a complete beginner we may not have a suitable class for you. Please contact us to find out if we do.


Q. Do I need to have a certain level of English to take any of your courses? If so, which ones?

A. If you would like to take one of our specialised English courses, you must have a level of English of at the appropriate level. These are: Cambridge Examination courses - Upper-Intermediate or higher; IELTS - Intermediate or higher,


Q. Can I take an English course for one week only?

A. Yes you can, please call/email your selected location to discuss timetables.


Q. Can I take more than one English course? If so, how can I apply and will I get a letter of acceptance for each course?

A. You can apply for more than one English course. However, it is not possible to apply for more than one course at the same time using our online booking form. Therefore, you should either make separate applications online or, alternatively, apply for both courses using our application form.


Q. Will I get a certificate at the end of my course? Is there an exam?

A. After you have completed your course you will receive a certificate confirming your attendance as well as the progress you have made / the level you have reached. You will take a Progress Test at the end of each month but there is no exam unless you are taking an exam course.


Q. Do you offer free English lessons?

A. Unfortunately we do not offer any free classes.


Q. What is included in the course fee? For example, are course books or exam fees included?

A. Exam fees and course books are not included in the course fees but photocopies of all materials used in class are provided. Students are required to pay for materials at time of booking.


Q. Can I pay for my course in instalments or do I have to pay all course fees in advance? What about if I just want to reserve a place?

A. All course fees are payable in advance.


Q. After I start my course can I extend my period of study or change to another course? If so, what would I have to pay?

A. It is possible to extend your period of study or to change to another course. To do so you should make this request as far in advance as possible and we will do our best to accommodate you. We would then settle the balance and you would not have to pay any extra charges.

Q. How can I pay for my course?

A. You can pay by cash, credit card or you could arrange a bank transfer. If you pay by bank transfer you must send us a copy of the bank transfer so that we can process your booking. Please ask the bank to give your name as a reference. Bank charges (if any) must be paid by you on arrival. Finally, you can also send us a cheque if it is drawn from a UK-based bank.


Q. Can I do a bank transfer or online EFT for my Fees direct to your bank account?

A. Yes, Here are the bank account details;

    EFT or Branch Deposit:

    Company Name: Holmes Colleges

    Address : 185 Spring Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia

    Bank: St. George Ban

    BSB Branch# 333-047

    Account# 5518 32882

    SwiftCode: SGBLAU2S

Please use your Student Number or Student Name as the “reference”. Once transferred please email the screenshot or scan copy of the receipt to us immediately, so we can track it and provide you with a receipt.


Q. Do I have to pay in dollars or can I pay in a foreign currency?

A. All fees must be paid in Australian Dollars ($AUD), when making an international bank transfer, please ensure that the bank has calculated the transfer amount in Australia Dollars.


Q. Is it possible for somebody else to pay on my behalf?

A. Yes.


Q. If I need an invoice can OHC provide one? If so, what information do I have to give and do I have to pay anything?

A. Yes. We can provide invoices if required. To be able to do so we need to know your chosen course (including the class times), the start date and the duration, as well as the address or fax number to which we should send the invoice. You do not have to pay anything for this service.


Q. Can I get any financial aid/assistance, such as a student loan or scholarship, for my course?

A. Oxford House College does not offer any scholarships or other financial assistance.


Q. What are the fees for international/overseas students?

A. All course and accommodation fees are the same for all students.


"I would like to thank everyone at OHC for making this experience so enjoyable and pleasant. What I liked the most was the atmosphere at the school. I have met such great, fun people and many students of different cultures."

Kararina from Slovakia